Editor, Leonardo Journal
Leonardo/ISAST is seeking an Editor to join our publications team. This position will provide editorial and organizational support and assist the Senior Editor and Chief Strategy Officer in guiding the editorial team across print, digital, and experimental publications, as well as special projects, joint-publications, and new media platforms. This person will join our growing team to advance Leonardo’s vision of fostering global transformation at the nexus of art, science, and technology in pursuit of a more vibrant, just, and regenerative world.
The ideal candidate is enterprising, process-oriented, organized, and an exceptional communicator. They will bring with them a passion for art, science, and/or technology, collaboration, and adaptability.
- Workflows, Processes, and Systems
- Implement editorial best practices
- Work with the staff and stakeholders to proactively develop, manage, and refine:
- Detailed project schedules and work plans
- Organizational systems
- Tracking and coordination of permissions forms, images, supplemental materials, and associated documentation
- Provide assistance to editors, reviewers, and authors throughout the review and submission stages
- Train editors to use new systems effectively
Editing and Writing
- Developmentally edit, copy edit, and proofread journals, publications, and other written work (print and digital)
- Generate written materials for bi-monthly newsletter
- Prepare, format, and finalize manuscripts at various stages of the editing process
Administration and Communication
- Correspond with authors and publishers
- Oversee implementation of departmental and editorial calendar(s)
- Correspond with Editorial Review Board as assigned
- Minimum 3–5 years experience in an editorial office (remote OK)
- Comfortable working across geographically dispersed team members
- High-level verbal communication skills
- Empathy and ability to lead teams in all directions
- Impeccable written US English; expert at grammar with a grasp of language and usage
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects at once
- Experience with editorial project management
- Experience writing for a professional audience
- Competence with Microsoft Word and Google Suite including custom templates, paragraph styles, track changes, and advanced Microsoft Word functions
- Experience using Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Discretion and judgment in dealing with confidential information
- Proficiency in Chicago Manual of Style
- Understanding of editorial and production processes including stages of development, rights and permissions, and image requirements
- Knowledge of standard proofreading symbols and protocol
- Knowledge of basic print/text design practices, e.g., templates, grids, hierarchy
- Comfortable speaking in front of groups
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- More than 5 years of experience in an editorial office (remote OK)
- Experience working across platforms and mediums
- Experience working with a peer-reviewed journal
- Background in arts, science, and/or technology
- Experience with project management tools such as ClickUp
- Experience with web manuscript management/peer review platforms
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Full-time position, compensation range: $40,000-50,000
- 50% contribution to health and 75% contribution to dental group insurance plan
- 10 days vacation, 10 days sick leave, and 15 paid holidays annually
- Impax Simple IRA retirement plan (available after 6 months of employment)
- Remote work options
- Flexible hours (to be approved by supervisor)
MISSION: Leonardo fosters transformation at the nexus of art, science, and technology, because complex problems require creative solutions. We serve to empower an inclusive global network, a borderless community where all belong in pursuit of creativity for a more vibrant, just, and regenerative world.
VISION: Leonardo activates creativity to push the boundaries of today and unleash the possibilities of tomorrow.
A fearless pioneer since 1968, Leonardo serves as THE community forging a transdisciplinary network to convene, research, collaborate, and disseminate best practices at the nexus of arts, science and technology worldwide. Leonardo serves a network of transdisciplinary scholars, artists, scientists, technologists, and thinkers who experiment with new, cutting-edge approaches, practices, systems and solutions to tackle the most complex challenges facing humanity today.
As a not-for-profit 501(c)3 enterprising think tank, Leonardo offers a global platform for creative exploration and collaboration, reaching tens of thousands of people across 135 countries. Our flagship publication, Leonardo, the world’s leading scholarly journal on transdisciplinary art, anchors a robust publishing partnership with MIT Press; our partnership with Arizona State University infuses educational innovation with digital art and media for lifelong learning. Our creative programs span thought-provoking events, exhibits, residencies and fellowships, scholarship, and social enterprise ventures.
As a member of the Leonardo/ISAST team, the Editor serves to support fellow staff, volunteers, leadership, and the community. We are all responsible for creating safe, respectful, productive work relationships, culture, and environment. We are aligned with Leonardo’s vision and values, our Code of Ethics
and our commitment to action for anti-racism, social justice, and human dignity. The Editorial Assistant role contributes to Leonardo’s positive impact, advancing what it can do to make the world a better place.
We are a small organization with a global, distributed team. We encourage a culture of support, agility, trust, and transparency.
Commitment towards J.E.D.I. (justice, equity, diversity and inclusion):
Leonardo/ISAST is committed to a J.E.D.I. practice. Please refer to our anti-racist editorial policies and Code of Ethics. We encourage applicants from around the globe to apply, including those from underrepresented communities of color, ability and LGTBQIA+.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume and cover letter with “Editor Application — [Full Name]'' in the subject line to: email@example.com
Applications accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will receive a reply. Thank you for your interest in Leonardo.